- Membership fees are non-refundable and we will not remove charges to your account for low usage. Contact us for help fitting in a workout!
- Only students are eligible to join the Fitness Center only during the term in which they are enrolled.
- No guests are permitted to join or use the facility.
- In the event of an emergency within the Fitness Center please notify a staff member immediately, and then follow staff instructions to aid in the emergency maneuvers.
- If you have an injury or adverse reaction to exercise, please alert the staff so they may contact emergency services to assist you. Staff are required to call campus police or 9-1-1 in case of any emergency.
- If a member is involved in a medical incident or if the staff determine a member is at `increased risk' from a health screening form or during a fitness test, that member's Fitness Center privileges may be suspended until the member provides a completed medical clearance form to the Assistant Director, Fitness Center. Any health information collected by staff will be treated as confidential and will be kept private to the extent the law allows.
- Anyone violating the dress code policy will be asked to change or leave. Repeat offenders may lose membership privileges.
- T-shirts and sleeveless shirts/tank tops which cover the entire torso (stomach, chest and most of the back) are allowed. Sleeveless shirts NOT show more than the width of your hand below the armpit. Sweatpants, modest shorts and similar items are considered appropriate attire. Athletic shoes (closed toe/closed heel) must be worn at all times, except during yoga classes.
- Flip flops, crocs, open back /open heel shoes, boots, black-soled shoes are prohibited.
- SCSU student staff provide primary supervision for the facility and may or may not be CPR certified. All staff act with the full authority of the Assistant Director. Harassment or disregard of the directions provided by the staff will result in immediate removal from the facility and may result in additional disciplinary action.
Failure to adhere to these policies may lead to your dismissal from the facility.
- We recommend lifting with a partner whose strength is similar to yours; if without a partner avoid lifting weights over or above the body; instead use the selectorized equipment.
We offer free orientations to teach you how to operate equipment and techniques for a safe workout. See staff to make an appointment. Equipment instruction videos are available on our website.
- Equipment may only be used as recommended by manufacturer (i.e. no backwards walking on treadmills or standing on the shoulder press machine).
- We recommend using the safety clip located on the left of all treadmill consoles.
- No Olympic lifting is allowed.
- No chalk allowed.
- Do not remove weighted bars from their respective racks. All lifts must be done within the storage rack.
- Barbell deadlifts are allowed within the squat rack ONLY if the bar does not touch/slam down between reps.
- Weight collars, pins, clips & Smith machine safety hooks MUST be used.
- Benches must be kept out of walkway.
- DO NOT DROP WEIGHTS OR ALLOW MACHINE PLATES TO SLAM DOWN. Perform controlled reps only or you'll be asked to leave.
- Re-rack all weights/plates to their designated storage areas
- Members must clean equipment by spraying a paper towel and wiping down equipment after use.
- Fitness Desk Staff are not permitted to spot patrons.
- Share equipment and allow others to use your machine when doing multiple sets.
- Please report equipment failures to the staff on duty.
- There is a 30 minute time limit on individual cardiovascular machines during times staff deem as 'busy' times or when someone is waiting.
- Equipment is available for check out with your hoot loot card for use in designated areas. See desk for assistance.
- Indoor cycling bikes and suspension trainers may be used when no class is in session. See staff for assistance.
- NO PHOTOGRAPHY or video recording is allowed in either locker room (cell phone, iPad, cameras etc.). This violated the expectation of privacy of all who use the locker rooms. You may be suspended for violation. You may take photos/videos of yourself out on the fitness center floor.
- No gum chewing or food is allowed on the fitness floor. Drinks must be kept in a closed container.
- Personal trainers not hired or authorized by the Assistant Director Student Center, Fitness Center may not train clients within the SCSU Fitness Center. If found to be doing so, the trainer & client will lose membership privileges
- No smoking, drugs or alcohol are permitted and members may not use equipment while under their influence.
- No loud and/or abusive language is permitted.
Locker Room Policy
- Lockers may ONLY be used during your workout-you may not drop off items or leave them behind.
- All belongings must be placed in a locker; no personal items may be left in the exercise areas or held by staff.
- We strongly recommend using a lock to prevent theft. See staff for current lock rental programs.
- Any personal locks left on lockers at closing will be cut off and contents placed in the lost & found.
- Any items left in the showers will be discarded at the end of the day.
Group Exercise Class
Update in progress.
- No admittance is allowed into classes more than 5 minutes after the class begins - for your safety and class enjoyment!
- Classes may be cancelled/altered without notice. Signs will be posted alerting you of changes/alerts will be posted on Twitter.
- Cycling class participants must bring a plastic, closed container of water into class. No water = no class!
- Cycling class participants should arrive 5-10 min. before scheduled starting time for instruction on proper bike set up.